Mahwah NJ Weapons Offenses Defense Attorneys
Criminal Defense Lawyers with Offices in Hackensack, New Jersey
New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Under the Graves Act, a defendant charged with a firearms offense, even with no prior record, is facing mandatory state prison time and parole ineligibility. If you have been arrested on a handgun or weapons charge in New Jersey, you need straight answers from an experienced weapons offenses defense attorney.
Travis J. Tormey is the founding partner of the Tormey Law Firm, with offices in the heart of Bergen County, New Jersey. He was named one of the Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorneys Under 40 In New Jersey in 2014 by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys and also heralded as one of the Top 40 Attorneys Under 40 in the Nation in 2014 by the National Trial Lawyers Association. Having handled thousands of criminal, traffic, and DWI cases in both New Jersey’s Superior and Municipal Courts, he is prepared to review the facts of your case and ensure that your constitutional rights were not violated by authorities. If the evidence against you was seized illegally, our firm will petition the court to drop the charges against you entirely.
For a free consultation about your weapons charges in New Jersey, call (201)-330-4979, submit an online contact form, or schedule an appointment to meet with us in person at our convenient Hackensack office location. You can also review our client testimonials page for additional information and check out our client reviews on Avvo.com.
Bergen County NJ Weapons Charges Defense Lawyers
The Tormey Law Firm provides aggressive and thorough defense against the full range of firearms and weapons offenses, including:
- Unlawful possession of a weapon
- Illegal possession of a handgun
- Possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose
- Unlawful disposition of a firearm
- BB guns, paintball guns, and Airsoft guns
- Certain persons offenses
- The Graves Act
- Forfeiture of weapons and restraining orders
Mr. Tormey has successfully represented many individuals facing weapons charges, including Armed Forces members. In many cases, Mr. Tormey’s clients avoided jail. In fact, numerous clients have been able to stay out of jail and avoid getting a blemish on their record altogether.
Two Main Types of Weapons Charges in New Jersey
There are two distinct types of weapon charges under New Jersey criminal statutes:
- Possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose means having a gun, firearm, or weapon in order to use it unlawfully against a person or property, such as during the commission of a crime.
- Unlawful possession of a weapon is simply having a gun or weapon without the legal right to do so. This includes a firearm that is illegal to own or a gun for which you don’t have the necessary permit or firearms ID card.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Palisades Interstate Park NJ Gun Attorney
When your freedom is on the line, put your gun crime defense in the hands of an experienced criminal defense lawyer. To speak with a Mahwah weapons offenses attorney about your case, call (201)-330-4979. You can also email us to schedule a free consultation.