Elmwood Park Simple Assault Lawyers

Disorderly Persons Offense Dismissed in Elmwood Park NJ

Arrested Simple Assault Elmwood Park NJ Help best defense
Simple Assault Charge Elmwood Park NJ

Received a summons for simple assault in Bergen County? Our experienced criminal defense lawyers can help. Here is an example of a simple assault disorderly persons charge we handled at the Elmwood Park Municipal Court.

The Domestic Violence lawyers at the Tormey Law Firm LLC with offices in Bergen County, Hackensack NJ recently represented a client who was facing a criminal charge for simple assault under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(a), a disorderly persons offense. This crime is punishable by up to six (6) months in the Bergen County Jail, a $1,000 fine, probation, and a permanent criminal charge on your record (which can be expunged in 3-5 years in certain cases). This alleged incident involved our client and his wife. Our client has no prior criminal history and there is no history of domestic violence between the parties.

When we appeared in court, there was very little evidence of any assault. In addition, the wife did not appear in court and without her cooperation the State could not prove the charges against our client. As a result, the court agreed to carry the case for a few months, and, as long as there were no other alleged domestic violence incidents between the parties, the charges will be dismissed. After the period of time elapsed, we appeared again in court and the charges were completely dismissed against our client. Then, he was able to file for an automatic expungement with the court as well to have the arrest removed from his record.

Arrested for Domestic Violence Simple Assault in Elmwood Park? Contact us now

This was a great result for our client and the Tormey Law Firm LLC. We represent clients facing criminal charges throughout Bergen County including in Elmwood Park, Palisades Interstate Park, East Rutherford, Garfield, Teaneck, and Lodi. Contact our offices anytime for a free initial consultation at (201)-330-4979.


If you’ve been charged with a criminal offense, disorderly persons offense, or traffic / DWI violation, you have the right to an attorney who will defend you against your charges and fight for your best interests. To learn more about how your attorney can fight to have your charges dismissed or reduced, click a link below to see our video library of legal defenses and strategies.